Believe it or not we are influenced by the actions of others more than we may care to admit. Many researchers have confirmed that social influence has a powerful effect on our decisions. We experience many forms of social influence, we feel pressured to behave as others do out of fear that they will reject or criticize us, and this, can have a significant impact on our safety.
- Peer Pressure Is Real
- Different Types of Social Influence
- Social Influence Proof (Video)
- How Strangers Influence Us
- Preventing Social Influence At Work
- Being Bold
- Being The Questioner
- Being The Influence
- Being The Buddy
- How does social influence show up at your work? What impact does it have on safety?
- Have you ever stopped someone who was negatively influencing the team? What did you do and what was the outcome?
- Between being bold, being the questioner, being the influence or being the buddy, which of these techniques are you most likely to use? Why? Have you ever used these techniques? What kind of an outcome came from it?
In the module we discussed three types of influence. Compliance, doing something because someone asks, conformity, doing something because others are doing it, and obedience, following a directive from an authority figure. These three types of influence show up all the time at work. Up until now, you might not have noticed just how frequently social influence shows up at work.
Your assignment for this module is to start paying attention to social influence. Each day you will write down one occurrence of social influence at play.
Post module activity that highlights the learning from the homework assignment and helps set a course for continued learning application.